BONE CHINA & MOULD MAKING COURSES 2018 – Sasha Wardell
Sasha Wardell’s courses in France are announced for 2018. They are likely to sell out quickly!
Two different types of courses are offered over five and a half days – the general introductory course and an advanced course. Both of which can run simultaneously as the courses are limited to 4 students maximum to allow for personal tuition.
The introductory course: includes general model and mould making techniques for those requiring basic plaster skills or needing a refresher course.
The advanced course: is aimed at those who already possess a certain knowledge in this field or for those who have already done the introductory course here. ( NB Anyone who has not done my introductory course, please contact beforehand to discuss the possibilities)
During the Introductory course you will be introduced to:
• MODEL MAKING using machine and hand techniques i.e. plaster lathe and whirler turning, hand carving, flat plaster work etc.
• MOULD MAKING which covers ‘drop-out’ or simple piece moulds including spares and ‘setter’ making ( a supplementary piece used for minimising rim distortion during drying and firing.)
• SLIPCASTING in bone china including finishing techniques.
(NB It is not possible to make a cast from the moulds produced during the course as they will not be dry enough, however, casting experiments can be done into ready-made moulds ready for firing.)
• PACKING AND FIRING an electric kiln for bone china (1260 c)
During the advanced course you will be introduced to:
• HANDLE AND SPOUT MAKING
• LIDDED CONTAINERS
• BLOCKING AND CASING ( process used for multiple mould manufacture)
• MULTI-PART MOULD MANUFACTURE
WHAT TO BRING:
* An idea of a simple form you wish to make
* If pursuing a specific project, a ready-made plaster or damp clay model . ( Please contact to discuss)
* Hand tools are provided, however, do bring any personal favourites!
* A sketch/ note book / camera
* An example and /or slides, photos of own work, if appropriate
DATES IN 2018:
Monday 2 JULY – Saturday 7 JULY
Monday 16 JULY – Saturday 21 JULY
Monday 30 JULY – Saturday 4 AUGUST
Monday 13 AUGUST – Saturday 18 AUGUST
Monday 27 AUGUST – Saturday 1 SEPTEMBER
Monday 10 SEPTEMBER – Saturday 15 SEPTEMBER
Monday 24 SEPTEMBER – Saturday 29 SEPTEMBER
PRICES : €900 per person*
* to include tuition, materials, firing and a half day visit to a family-run factory. All lunches and dinners are included except for Thursday evening.
The address of the studio is: 15, Rue de la Mairie, 19350 Juillac, Corrèze, France
(Note: he course is non-residential, however, there is a choice of B&B’s /chambres d’hôtes in the village and nearby hotels and a list of suggested places is on Sasha’a website.)
MORE INFORMATION AND TO BOOK CONTACT:
T: +44(0) 7855 110603
The workshop at Juillac; decorating/casting studio; the workshop