Paperclay Workshops with Angela Mellor – April and September 2018
Angela says “As a follow-up to my successful workshops last year, I will be running Paperclay Workshops this April in my studio. There are still one or two places left….. see the Workshops page on my website for further details.” In September I will be running two more Paperclay Workshops.
Dates for Weekend Workshops: ‘Working with Paperclip’ (up to date 30 March 2018)
- April 14 – 15, 2018 — 3 Places Remaining
- April 21 – 22, 2018 — 4 Places Remaining
- April 28 – 29, 2018 — Fully Booked
- September 15 – 16, 2018 — 3 Places Remaining
- September 29 – 30, 2018 — 4 Places Remaining
- 10.30am – 4.30pm
- £290 per person
- Four people maximum per course
During this intensive paperclay workshop participants will explore various techniques of working with Bone China paperclay through handbuilding and the use of plaster moulds.
Day One The day starts with coffee in the gallery with a chance to see examples of Angela’s work using paperclay and ask questions. There will be demonstrations of paperclay techniques in the studio in the morning before a break for lunch. Participants will have the chance to make a start on their own project in the afternoon.
Day Two The emphasis will be on practicing techniques and applying them to your
- This course is suitable for all levels, preferably with some prior experience of working with clay or creative practice in general
- Minimum age 18
- Workshops run from 10.30am – 4.30pm with a short lunch break
- Refreshments provided, but please bring a own packed lunch, alternatively there are plenty of places to eat nearby
- Inclusive: Bone China paperclay, textured plaster slabs and simple drop out moulds for the duration of the course are included
- Work will be fired and can be posted on to you for an additional fee (to cover postage and packaging), or you may collect it at a mutually convenient date
Things to bring
- Tools are provided but please feel free to bring your own
- Please bring either natural or man-made objects to create textures in paperclay
- A note book / camera
- Photos of your own work
- An apron or protective clothing
About the Tutor
Ceramist, Curator and Teacher, Angela graduated with an MA from Monash University, Victoria, Australia in 2000 following many years’ teaching in the UK. She set up her studio in Perth, Western Australia where she lived for ten years. She received a Crafts Council Grant to produce a new body of work in 2002. Angela has received Honourable Mentions in Japan and Korea and has won awards internationally, including the Silver Award for Ceramics in the craft&design Magazine Selected Makers Awards 2014 and 2015.
Returning from Australia in 2006, Angela ran her own gallery in Ely for a few years before deciding to concentrate on her own work. Her work is sold in galleries worldwide and she receives commissions from the UK and abroad.
Angela specialises in slipcast Bone China and pioneered working with Bone China paperclay during her academic research in Australia twenty years ago. She has continued to explore this fascinating medium, culminating in her most recent large scale handbuilt sculptural pieces.
Set in a historic C16th Grade II listed building, Angela’s own working Studio is on the ground floor adjacent to the gallery with a serene courtyard to the rear.
The studio is two minutes’ walk from Ely’s famous Cathedral, also known as the “Ship of the Fens” and opposite Oliver Cromwell’s House. Restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance.
Ely is only 17 miles from Cambridge by car via the A10. Upon arrival, Ely has a free long stay car park on Barton Road or roadside parking along West Fen Road.
Ely station has direct connections to London King’s Cross. The station is a 15 minute walk from the studio or there is a taxis rank outside the station. A map of the area can be seen on the Contact page.
Accommodation may be found on the Visit Ely website. Alternatively, Cathedral House is a B&B just opposite the studio, or slightly further out is the Travelodge, while some previous attendees have booked an Airbnb property.
How to Book
You will need to download the PDF Booking Form, open it on your computer, then fill out your details and follow the instructions within for returning it.