I still think my exhibition work in ash glazed oxidised stoneware driven by my love of landscape rhythms, tonal movements and perspectives to be my bedrock; however I repeatedly wander into high and low temperature experiments and developments involving interplaying layers of slips, raw ash slip glazes and occasional sand blasting both free and precise. Currently I am enjoying the idea of being able to cut back through the layers of applied marks using sand blast, sometimes with the aid of computer imaging.
Current Work Availability:
Currently work is only available at the Gallery.
The workshop has a modest range of electric and propane fired gas kilns, and four fibre raku kilns ranging from tiny up to the robust converted oil drum for good sized pieces of work. The workshop works from reliable stock of some 40 glazes for raku, earthenware, reduced and oxidised stoneware.
Born - 31st December 1943
Place - Warrington, Cheshire. U.K.
Education - Monastic (Benedictine) Hereford. U.K.
Trained - Central School of Art & Design, London
Qualification - Bachelor of Arts Degree
Level - First Class Honours
Subject - Three Dimensional Design
Specialism - Ceramics
Status - 1971 Married to Patt Clarke
- Two sons - John B and Joey
- Self-employed designer maker
- National Validator / Standards Moderator
Workshops - Hampstead Pottery London
- Daffodil Farm Pottery, Peak District. U.K.
- White House Pottery, East Anglia. U.K.
- Poterie d'Alan Baxter - 66230 Prats-de-Mollo. France.
Associations - The founder member -
East Anglian Potters Association
Suffolk Crafts Society
- 1969 Whitechapel Gallery, London
- 1969 Crafts Centre of Great Britain
- 1975 Studio 10&half, Hull
- 1976 Rodney Kent's, Hull
- 1977 Dortmund, Germany
- 1977 Gallery Oben, Germany
- 1977 Handwerkspflege, Munich, Germany
- 1978 Sommer Gallery, Nuremberg, Germany
- 1978 Weihnachtsaustellung, Munich, Germany
- 1978 Weihnachtsaustellung, Nuremberg, Germany
- 1979 Englishe Keramik, Kolner Keramik Galerie, Germany
- 1980 Galerie Heidrich, Leichlingen, Germany
- 1981 Galerie Marin, Hagen, Germany
- 1981 Galerie Poech, Traunstein, Germany
- 1982 Galerie Charlotte Hennig, Darmstadt, Germany
- 1982 Museum fur Moderne Keramik, Deidesheim, Germany
- 1983 Museum fur Moderne Keramik, Deidesheim, Germany
- 1984 East Anglian Potters, lady Lodge, Peterborough, U.K.
- 1985 Museum fur Moderne Keramik, Deidesheim, Germany
- 1986 E.A.P.A. Lion Yard, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1987 Aspektezeitgenossischer Keramik aus Europe
- 1988 East Anglia Arts Abroad, Gent, Belgium
- 1989 Lowestoft College Gallery, E.A.P.A. U.K.
- 1989 Fermoy Gallery, Kings Lynn, U.K.
- 1989 'Clay Today' Ipswich Museum Gallery, U.K.
- 1990 Primavera, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1991 Suffolk Crafts Society, Aldborough, U.K.
- 1992 Castle Museum, Norwich, U.K.
- 1993 Corpusty Gallery, Norfolk, U.K.
- 1994 Suffolk Artists 'Mixed Media', U.K.
- 1995 Ipswich Town Library, U.K.
- 1999 E.A.P.A. Cambridge, U.K.
- 2000 Vernissage, The White House Pottery, Ipswich, U.K.
- 2001 Haddenham Gallery, Ely, U.K.
- 2001 Withingdale Gallery, Long Melford, Suffolk, U.K.
- 2002 Withingdale Gallery, Long Melford, Suffolk, U.K.
- 2006 Vernissage, Poterie d'Alan Baxter, Prats-de-Mollo, France